At Charlotte Academy technology is infused throughout our curriculum and classes. Students learn to use information and technology resources in the classroom and computer lab. Through the use of technology, various learning styles are addressed so that all students can learn and achieve success. The computer lab and iPads are available to all classrooms for age-appropriate learning enhancement activities. The staff works with the students to help them master the information, research, and technology skills needed to thrive in today’s interconnected world.
Middle School teachers have smartboards in their classrooms and iPads available for use, as well as the computer lab. This technology enables interactive learning opportunities for students and teacher guided lessons (ie. programs through Florida Virtual). The appropriate use of the Internet and the many sources of information it provides has created a stimulating and interactive learning experience. Innovative problem solving, critical thinking skills, and collaborative decision making have been facilitated through the use of such technology. The use of various educational online resources continue to enrich concept development and to strengthen/reinforce core skills.
Student Usage Standards for CA Provided Technology
- The technology equipment made available to students (iPads, computers, etc.) at Charlotte Academy is the property of Charlotte Academy (the School) and is made available to you as a tool for learning.
- This Agreement sets out the technology equipment usage standards.
- This agreement – signed by both student and parent/guardian –is required before technology equipment will be accessed by a student.
- The use of technology equipment is a privilege that can be revoked. Inappropriate use or neglect of this technology equipment can result in limits to or loss of use. Consequences for inappropriate use will vary according to infraction, but may include any or all of the following:
- Discipline consequences for minor infractions
- Loss of privileges or increased daytime controls
- Loss of technology equipment for a period of time
- Students must not leave the technology equipment unattended at any time while at school when logged in.
- The school will make all the technology equipment & software that students will need for classes available. Students are not allowed to uninstall or modify any application or operating systems in any way. Installation of apps by students is not permitted. All downloading of applications or other on-line costs incurred by the student for unauthorized use of the technology equipment are the sole responsibility of the parents/students.
- File sharing, including downloading music or any other activity that violates copyright laws is not permitted.
General Handling and Required Care of the Technology Equipment
- Student and Parent/Guardian will be charged for any damage resulting from intentional abuse or mishandling, or non-accidental loss or damage to any technology equipment due to negligence. The following are not considered to be accidental damage and repair costs will be assessed Student Fees, Fines, or Charges:
- Defacing, and/or abusing the technology equipment for student amusement, anger, frustration, etc.
- Damage caused by tampering with hardware components or operating systems to alter school configuration
- Do not mark the technology equipment in any way with markers, stickers, scratches, engraving, etc.
- Do not insert foreign objects (paperclips, pens, etc.) into the ports (openings) of the iPad or computers.
- Do not eat or drink near the technology equipment. There should never be any food or drink around the technology equipment.
- When the charging cable needs to be connected, be sure to line it up correctly when inserting and removing. Students are responsible for damage to the charger port or connector pin resulting from mishandling. Use only the school-approved charger assigned with the technology equipment.
- If you have problems with your technology equipment, stop using the device and ask your teacher for help.